- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped baby carrots
- 4-5 cups of broccoli, cut up florets, stems if you want them
- 2 cups milk or half and half for thicker, creamer soup
- 2 cups (I used 2 cans) of chicken broth
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 cups or more of sharp cheddar cheese
- 1-2 teaspoons of hots sauce
- 1 teaspoon or to taste salt
- 1 teaspoon or to taste ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon of dry mustard (but I have made with yellow mustard to taste)
- Optional: 4-5 boneless skinless chicken thighs, or 3-4 boneless skinless chicken breast.
In crock pot, place chopped vegetables. If you are going to add the chicken, for a heartier soup/meal, lay the thawed chicken (you can do frozen if the crock pot is running all day) on top. Mix seasonings, broth, and milk in separate bowl then pour in crock pot. set crock pot to low, for 6-8 hours. You can try high for 4-6 hours, but careful with the milk, it may scorch. Once cooked, pull out chicken and shred with a fork. Place shredded chicken back in. Ladle out 1/2 cup of broth and mix in cornstarch. Once fully mixed, pour back into crock pot and stir. Pour in cheese. Stir and let sit, covered, for 10-15 minutes, until the cheese is fully melted.
Finally, scoop into bowls and serve with crusty bread. Garnish with a sprinkle of cheese.
This is a soup I put together before work, and let cook all day on low. The only thing is the smell of cooked broccoli, can be overwhelming to some. This is a meal that is great for those fall and winter days, that all you want is a full belly and quick meal.